Friday, July 31, 2009

Link Roundup, MAMA MAMA MAMA Edition

Goose is such a great kid. But she's still two, and lately, once I get her put down for the night, I just want to collapse! She's been wanting to be held, but won't let me sit down to do it. This evening, she must have said MAMA a hundred times, just because. Lately she's been running off when it's time to do something like brush her teeth, and it's very important to me that she learn to obey - and at the first request. I feel that the first step in teaching her to obey God, who she can't see, is to obey us, who she can see.

Anyway. My garden is going great guns; I picked a dozen tomatoes and decent pile of green beans, and a cousin picked a bigger pile of beans today. (Note to self, check tomatoes tomorrow.) I think my onions are ready to come out - and I was remembering that in a Laura Ingalls Wilder book, they braided the tops. Wonder if that would work for me? I tried the pantyhose thing with a knot between each with some success, though I think my real problem is lack of a spot that is neither too warm nor too cool. Indian corn is looking good, potatoes are looking good, and gourds are taking over the block, still. Mercy!

Here are this week's finds:

DO
Funny how I'm not yet a huge believer in themed-birthday parties with lots of kids, but I can't help collecting birthday party ideas. This time, it's a circus party at Let's Explore.

When Cook's Illustrated speaks, I listen. This time, it's freezing fruit.

Melissa at Chasing Cheerios couldn't get her wedding rings off her swollen-from-pregnancy hands, and finally went to the doctor who did a modified version of this trick with a piece of slick string. Suggested by Meredith at Like Merchant Ships, no less.

I've heard of removing kids to their room during a tantrum, but not putting a timer on it! I know Goose sometimes seems to get worked up just for the sake of getting worked up . . . (@ The Toby Show)

MAKE
Hearing about the mess factor makes me a tiny bit skeptical, but the pull of make your own moon sand will likely overcome me eventually. (at Skip to my Lou)

This tutorial on make your own olive oil lamp at Down to Earth is interesting. I especially like how they float the oil on water so you don't need as much sitting out and getting rancid.

McCormick (the spice people) has a page where you can find the formula for different colors using food coloring. Of course, all that dye probably isn't the best thing for a person, but special times call for special measures.

File this under "can't believe I haven't linked to it before" - my friend Angela has a tutorial on making very cute hooded toddler bath towels. So cute and easy!

Thankfully Goose isn't in to makeup yet, but that day is coming! I LOVED this idea on using nail polish and old makeup containers to make pretend makeup at Parent Hacks.

I'm still not quite sure what exactly "oobleck" is, but it looks interesting. (Maybe it's related to the "gak" I have in my favorites somewhere?) Anyway, the mysteries of corn starch, water, and food coloring cannot be denied. (at Skip to My Lou)

Make alphabet block magnets at Plum Pudding. I might keep an eye out for garage sale blocks to do this!

We're not quite into "bling" yet, but this glittery gem dough at Frugal Family Fun Blog looks so funky!

OTHER
If you're wondering whether God really listens, go read A Boy, A Duck, and a Prayer at Catholic Exchange, by Patti Armstrong. I was laughing and crying by the end.

Jen at Conversion Diary has a great post that sums up why I love the universality of the Catholic Church. A very well-traveled friend once told me that the rhythm of the Our Father is the same in nearly every language, too.

Also over at Conversion Diary, Jen posted on how choosing patience helped her to grow. Good stuff.

Happy surfing!

5 comments:

Lori said...

Wowee on the McCormick food coloring site!! Just checked it out. :)
As usual, this is one of my favorite posts to check out. Great job!

Stacey said...

"Mama, Mama, Mama!" "What?" "Umm... Mama..." I hear it a thousand times a day too, and usually she has to invent a reason to have said it. Sometimes I think that mantra will drive me mad. But I guess we should savor these times when they still want us around! My little girl is already into makeup, wowee, that can make a mess! I give her my old powder compacts and some play lipsticks from Walmart. I'll have to check out the link you posted.

Oh, if you figure out how to make Goose obey the first time, lemme know! Currently we have something in place like this: immediate consequence for disobedience (i.e. sit on the step) until she calms down enough to talk (fits are frequent and emotionally violent). Then we go through the motions of confession! She says what she did wrong, says she's sorry, tells me what she's supposed to do next time, then we hug and kiss and off she goes! Hasn't really brought about perfect obedience, but I don't know what else to do!

Lenetta said...

Positive reinforcement is always appreciated, Lori. :>) That McCormick site makes you feel like you could color the world, doesn't it???

Stacey, I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this big boat of toddlerhood. (And you're in it times two, eh?) LOVE the confession angle - leave it to a not-yet-convert to figure *that* out. What great training to be part of the communion of saints!

Angela said...

I LOVE the play make up idea, I am definitely going to do that one!

Thanks for the link.

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

And one thing I just absolutely love about your link round-ups is that right from my google reader I get tons of ideas for handmade Christmas gifts. I'm always looking for ideas for the cousins (all under 5). So much fun AND practical stuff. Thanks!