Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Silicone Basting Brushes

Something that I have found handy in the kitchen is a silicone basting brush. Here is one on Amazon that is similar to what I have - I put in the whole image link so you can see the price without clicking through:

I use it for oiling the waffle iron after it's already heated up (since I usually forget), they also work well to brush sauce on food when you're grilling - especially the long handled one, and you don't end up with bristles in your food like has happened to us with regular bristle brushes (blech).

The set I purchased has 3 brushes in varying lengths. The brush heads can be removed from the handle and both pieces put in the dishwasher. My brush heads have warped a bit but they still work great.

I did a quick search and found the set in a number of places. It's not the cheapest, but I have ordered from Miles Kimball before and I have been satisfied with their service. I also didn't click through to check shipping and handling on any of these, but I imagine that could be a stickler.

Other places I found that sell the brushes: here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. (Whew.) Remember, I don't know anything about S&H at these sites, nor do I know anything about their policies. They just came up with cheap prices!

Another waffle tip - since I made a double batch of whole wheat waffles this morning with the intention of freezing the extras, I cooled the waffles on a cooling rack so the steam could escape. It helps the waffle retain a bit of crispness. We prefer to reheat them in the toaster so they really crunch back up!

For more kitchen tips, visit Tammy's Recipes.

4 comments:

tammy l said...

We have a silicone basting brush and really like it! It's easier to clean (especially after using to marinate/season raw meats!) and doesn't lose bristles in the food! :D

Angela said...

I have one, too, and I also love it!

Dianna said...

I love mine too. What a great idea for the waffle iron! My in-laws found mine at the dollar store.

Maxine said...

They look much easier to clean than the bristle brushes. I've been eyeing them at the store and wondering how they work... so thanks for the review!
I have to say it is so FUNNY how much we have in common at first glance! (I live now where you used to when you were in the area!) I'd love it if you read my blog sometimes. I'll be following yours, too. :)