Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Peeling Onions

It's been a while since I've been inspired to post a kitchen tip, but as I was preparing pepper steak for lunch today, I realized that I've come up with a method of peeling the papery skin off onions that helps drive me less crazy.


Although I haven't always liked onions, I do like to eat them now - I finally realized I think they're MUCH better cooked than they are raw! I don't really like messing around with prepping them, though. I often use a mini chopper (think small food processor) or my big food processor if I'm doing something else with it, but it seemed I always picked onions where the icky papery skin was absolutely adhered to the onion, and I didn't much care for peeling it off, millimeter by millimeter.

My method is to cut off one end (I go with the non-root end, it seems to cause less crying that way) but I don't cut all the way through. I then use the flap I created to peel the layers, and I often remove the top layer of onion as well as it is frequently dried out at the top and yucky.

For more kitchen tips, visit Tammy's Recipes.

No comments: