Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Kitchen Tip - Covering Crockpots

I recently needed to cook a chunk of frozen pork roast in the crockpot. The meat wasn't big enough to necessitate using my large crockpot, but it didn't fit in my small crock with the lid on. My solution? Cover the crock with a bowl!




















I used a cereal bowl, and it actually fit perfectly - a seal formed, just like with using the lid. Usually I just put the lid on the best I can and squish things down as they thaw. This day, I was away from the house so it was unattended. The meat was ready to go by the time I got back and it fed our hungry silage crew well! I will be linking to Kitchen Tip Tuesdays over at Tammy's Recipes.

9 comments:

Zimms Zoo said...

I have always formed foil over it and then put the lid on it too because it would eventually cook down and the lid would fit right. This is a great idea because it doesn't waste foil.

Sta said...

What a great idea! Thank you!

Kim said...

What a great idea!! I use foil, but your idea trumps mine!

*waving to say hi!*

Netta said...

So happy you shared this. Thank you. I've wanted to try "another type" of lid, but was afraid I'd regret it ... but YOU cleared that up.
THANK YOU

Donna said...

Great idea!!!
I never would have though that would work.......wonder if I have an oval bowl...? ;-)

Lenetta said...

Donna, I was thinking the same thing about my big crockpot... Though I just realized I've been thrifting those divided bowls lately for my MIL - have you seen them? It's basically a (typically) shallow oval bowl, with a divider down the middle. Of course, the hard part would be matching up the ovals! :>)

Donna said...

Yes, you're right, matching them up!?! I wouldn't have thought of that until I was actually standing over them wondering which to buy, lol. :-)

Anonymous said...

love your ideas-- you know I have you bookmarkedand I check back periodically.. !!! -Faith

Abbi said...

THis is a great idea! I have had this problem before as well but I have tried to use foil but it didn't work as well as that and I don't prefer to use foil either. Thanks so much for sharing!